Claim compensation for abuse in a children's care home

Compassionate legal assistance from qualified solicitors

Whilst most children's homes provide a safe and secure setting for vulnerable children who are `looked-after' by social services, occasionally children have been let down by this system.

If you have suffered physical or sexual abuse whilst in care, speak to us about a potential claim for compensation.

Robsonshaw can help you bring an action against the local Social Services authority responsible for the children's home. The local authority may be liable for the wrongdoings of their members of staff, and in some cases visitors to the home or other residents. We will support you through the entire claims process.

No win, no fee

We offer no-win, no-fee arrangements and can be contacted in complete confidence on a 24/7 basis if you want to talk about a potential claim against a local authority following your experience whilst in care.

Our experience in claims against children's homes

Some children's homes are run by organisations such as Action for Children (formerly National Children's Home) and sadly some of these centres have been targeted by abusers who could prey on young and vulnerable children. This has given rise to many legal claims.

At Robsonshaw, we have years of experience in bringing claims for physical or sexual abuse against organisations such as Action for Children and local authorities up and down the country, including:

  • Flintshire County Council for historic physical and sexual abuse suffered at Bryn Estyn children's homes in North Wales
  • Royal Borough of Greenwich for wrongdoings committed at their homes and notably Gavestone Road and Peterstone Children’s Home in Abby Wood
  • Cardiff County Council for failures suffered at children's homes in South Wales
  • Cheshire Council for children who suffered abuse at St Joseph's care home in Nantwich.
  • We have also acted for a group of women who suffered over-medication, mistreatment and sexual abuse at Kendall House in Kent which was a children’s home approved by Kent County Council but was the legal responsibility of the Diocese of Rochester and Canterbury. 

Robsonshaw is also acting for numerous survivors of historic sexual and physical abuse for individuals affected by the Shirley Oaks scandal.  The London Borough of Lambeth is the first Council in England to launch a Redress Scheme to compensate those who suffered physical and sexual abuse and neglect in its borough's former children's homes. 

We have secured six-figure pay-outs for residents of Shirley Oaks homes, and continue to represent many clients who were looked after children under Lambeth's care.

"Failure to remove" claims

Although these claims are now more difficult to pursue following a 2019 decision of the Supreme Court in Poole Borough Council -v- CN & GN, the law in relation to children’s homes and the liability of a local authority's social services for its employees’ wrongdoings is still clear. Where a child suffers sexual and physical abuse at the hands of a member of staff employed by, or the responsibility of, the local authority, a successful claim can still be launched.

Get in touch for a confidential chat

To speak to us about your potential claim following mistreatment, sexual and physical abuse or neglect at a children's home, please contact us at or telephone us on 01392 345333.

We offer a confidential consultation and will happily talk through your options on a no-obligation basis. We offer no win, no fee-type funding arrangements for all claims against children's homes.